40 Most Disastrous Cable Messes

If you think that rat’s nest of cables behind your computer is bad, check out some of these cable disasters – it’ll make you feel a lot better about your own personal “computer-cable hygiene”! This is the definitive list of the all-time worst (or at least sloppiest) wiring jobs ever, including out-of-control computer wiring, A/V cables gone-bad, data center disasters, and ridiculous power lines from around the world.

This looks like the “geeky” version of the Price is Right wheel.

If you think your job is hard, try being the guy that has to find the one loose cable in this mess of wires.

Watch your step…

At least these people are smart and put up a sign that says “Do Not Touch Any Of These Wires” – now that’s workplace safety at its best.

You’ve almost got to stand-up, and salute this patriotic cable mess.

There’s gotta be something living underneath that clump of cables! These audio cables are a little-bit out of control.

Almost looks like somebody pulled an office prank involving silly string and and a stack of servers.

Spaghetti never looked better.

Colorful cable catastrophes are some of my favorites – they’re a thing of beauty.

Yeah … that’s a lot of wiring!
_11.jpg

Check out these beautiful long-locks of cable. Couldn’t they have made them a little shorter? It looks cool anyway.
_12.jpg

This wiring job may look like crap, but as long as it works, it doesn’t matter what it looks like.
_13.jpg

Innovative new pay-phone.
_14.jpg

Here’s a couple of the original Google Servers. The first one was called “the Corkboard Rack”.

Have a look at these disgusting data centers …
_17.jpg

_18.jpg

Good idea! Get rid of the messy cables by stuffing them underneath the floor – “out of sight, out of mind”.
_20.JPG

This is how you connect a TV, DVD player, XBOX 360, surround sound system, computer, phone, PS2, and anything that plugs into the wall, all into one outlet at your house. Quite an accomplishment.
_21.JPG

This is cable chaos! I feel sorry for the guy who has to maintain this mess.
_22.jpg

This one is just disgusting.
_23.jpg

This pile of junk actually looks kinda cool.
_24.jpg

Now lets take a look at some of the most ridiculous power lines in the world. I don’t think that very much planning went into the design of these cluttered cable messes.

Here’s a guy who’s trying to fix some power lines, and he’s not even wearing any shoes. Yeah – this is totally safe.
_25.jpg

Can you squeeze anymore cables into this mess.
_26.jpg

Talk about a tangled mess. I hope those cables aren’t live!
_27.jpg

I think that Bangkok needs to rethink its power line infrastructure.
_28.JPG

_29.jpg

_30.jpg

_31.jpg

Watch your step – live wires right at head-level.
_32.jpg

Seoul, Korea went a little “cable-happy” on this street corner.
_33.jpg

Here are some beautiful cable-canopies covering these bustling city streets.
_34.jpg

_35.jpg

What can I say about this tangled disaster. It pretty much speaks for itself.

Here’s some more spaghetti to whet your appetite.
_37.jpg

“Typical” home office set-up.
_39.jpg

So how do you clean-up your cable mess? Here’s a sped-up version of how it’s done, called “2 Techs 1 Closet”. Nice work guys.

Ever had to work somewhere with comparably messy cable planning? Have you got a computer cable disaster of your own? Do you have an embarrassing jumble of TV cables behind your home cinema setup? Leave your comment below!

23 Responses to “40 Most Disastrous Cable Messes”

1. Cables, cables y más cables « Pasa la vida on February 22, 2008 10:12 am

[...] Vía Neatorama y Geek about [...]

2. Piuhat solmussa - Hilavitkutin.com - Uutisia tekniikasta, ilmiöistä ja hilavitkuttimista on February 22, 2008 1:54 pm

[...] Tuntuuko joskus, että pelkästään tietokone, näyttö, näppäimistö, hiiri, tulostin, skanneri, kovalevy ja reititin aiheuttavat sotkuja johdoillaan? Tilanne voi olla paljon toivottomampikin. Sivustolla http://www.geekabout.com esitellään 40 kaikkien aikojen pahinta johtosotkua. Tässä olisi kesätyöntekijälle tehtävää. [...]

3. ryrys » Y me quejo cuando veo un patch panel desordenado… on February 22, 2008 9:26 pm

[...] 40 de los mas desastrosos desordenes con cables. [...]

4. tsemexico.com.mx » Lios con Cables on February 23, 2008 10:01 pm

[...] “40 Most Disastrous Cable Messes”. [...]

5. Chuck Tomasi on February 24, 2008 6:28 am

I sympathize with these people. We’re waiting to move one of our data centers – it looks a lot like some of the pics above. I’ve also seen those Google servers. Search for “Technorama” on YouTube and look for the Computer History Museum to see what we do to the server.

6. Phill on February 24, 2008 12:06 pm

I run a music studio. I remember the day too well when we moved the location of the studio…two days of pure war..;D

7. Wiring disaster, ohh! | idrinkmusic on February 24, 2008 8:43 pm

[...] Miremos algunas de las imágenes publicadas en Geek About. [...]

8. Popular Fidelity » Tech » 40 Disastrous Cable and Wire Messes on February 25, 2008 3:05 am

[...] There are over three dozen images, so we’ve picked out a few of the best to give you an idea of what’s going on. See those below (more can be found here). [...]

9. Webpymes.cl Blog » Cables.. on February 25, 2008 5:54 am

[...] Quien este relacionado con redes y cableado, sabra lo “entetenido” que es ordenar un rack de comunicaciones, sobretodo con N cables de conexion, este video nos muestra como 2 personas toman el caos entre sus manos y despues de muchas horas, todo queda bellamente ordenado. aqui puedes ver mas imagenes de arreglos de racks y otros lios cableados, incluyendo las lineas electricas y telefonicas de pais asiaticos y latinoamericanos. [...]

10. Kabli, kabli in še enkrat kabli | mat3ii blog on March 1, 2008 2:47 am

[...] [...]

11. Matt Ellsworth on April 10, 2008 5:51 am

boy I sure have seen some messes in my days running cable. Most of them were not this bad. Except for the library in a high school – that was just downright awful.

12. Herbalife on April 12, 2008 5:51 pm

This is just sick. I can’t imagine anyone being able to maintain any kind of sanity dealing with such a mess of wires and cables.

13. Cable rojo o azul? « Historias Diarias on April 16, 2008 4:18 am

[...] Mas aqui [...]

14. George on July 24, 2008 9:07 am

Here are a few more for the collection. Alas, the best part, the hubs&switches hanging from loops of duct-tape, are not visible in these shots.

The closet belongs to a anti-regulation lobbying group on Capitol Hill.

15. Got cable? « A que la chingada… on July 24, 2008 12:29 pm

[...] Cachado en Geek About [...]

16. Geek Vault » Cabos, cabos por todos os lados. on July 25, 2008 4:50 pm

[...] essas fotos bem legais, que atire a primeira pedra quem nunca viu ou trabalhou em algo do tipo. E ateno para [...]

17. “Cosas De Aqui Y De Alla” » Líos Con Cables on July 25, 2008 10:33 pm

[...] Fuente: Geek About [...]

18. astro73 on July 26, 2008 5:59 pm

Those aren’t audio cables behind the AV rack. That’s cam — it’s all delivering power. (Each one is about 1/2″ diameter.)

19. Cynthia on July 26, 2008 7:00 pm

Explain me the ones in the bath.

20. Macarrão tecnológico « Café com sal on August 5, 2008 11:38 am

[...] veja mais em 40 Most Disastrous Cable Messes | Geek About [...]

21. Joel Reid on September 3, 2008 12:17 pm

And I hate running an extension for the vacuum!

22. CyberMandrake on February 17, 2009 1:50 pm

Cynthia, I don’t think there is an explanation to that. Just look at the power wires hanging around, and don’t try that at home!

23. Go 4 Apple on March 3, 2009 2:56 pm

HAHA awesome pictures, thanks :o )

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind

rss icon

Subscribe via RSS

Subscribe via Email:

About me...
Hi! I am a self-confessed geek with an insatiable appetite for gadgets and travel. Currently I own a MacBook Pro, 30GB iPod video and a big credit card balance.
Categories